Five Men Charged with Beating and Robbery of Marijuana Grower
Published on 1/19/12
Five men charged in the beating and robbery of a medical marijuana grower are awaiting trial. While two of the defendents have pleaded guilty to the charges three more are still awaiting their day in court. Oct. 6, 2011; 5 men beat and robbed a homeowner who was tending to his marijuana plants. They beat him, stole his plants and a laptop, and other items from his shed before fleeing the scene. They were soon pulled over by a nearby trooper.
MUSKEGON COUNTY — The felony cases against five young men charged in the beating and robbery of a Cedar Creek Township medical-marijuana grower are progressing through the courts.
Two defendants have pleaded guilty as charged to potential life felonies, while the other three are scheduled for a jury trial starting Feb. 14.
All were charged with assault with intent to rob while armed, punishable by up to life in prison, and some with additional counts.
The armed assault happened shortly after 3 a.m. Oct. 6 in the 6000 block of Ryerson Road in Cedar Creek Township.
The homeowner, who was tending medical-marijuana plants in a shed on his property, was approached by five men. One was armed with a handgun and another with a baseball bat, Michigan State Police said.
The robbers beat the man and stole an undisclosed amount of his marijuana, a laptop and several other items from a shed on the man's property before fleeing in a vehicle, police said.
The victim was treated and released at Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial Hospital in Fremont. The victim's ex-wife, who was inside the home at the time, was not injured, police said.
A state police trooper in the area pulled over a vehicle occupied by the five suspects shortly afterward. Police said items in the vehicle linked them to the robbery, and they were arrested.
Here's the status of their cases, all before Muskegon County 14th Circuit Judge William C. Marietti:
• Anthony Wayne Ringersma, 18, of Ravenna pleaded guilty Jan. 9 to assault with intent to rob while armed. He is scheduled for sentencing Feb. 7.
• Matthew Blake Gonzales, 21, of Kent City pleaded guilty Dec. 19 to assault with intent to rob while armed and carrying a concealed weapon. He is scheduled for sentencing Feb. 28.
These three are set for trial next month:
• Kory Clayton Brock, 19, of Kent City, charged as the gun-wielder. He is charged with assault with intent to rob while armed, carrying a concealed weapon, assault with a dangerous weapon and two felony-firearm counts.
• Jeremy Jay McFadden Jr., 17, of Grant, charged with assault with intent to rob while armed.
• Jaime Toledo Jr., 19, of Walkerville, charged with assault with intent to rob while armed.