Recipes: How to Make Homemade CBD Dog Treats
Published on 7/27/22
It is no secret that CBD is one of the newest and most sought-after health products on the market today. As holistic health pushes further into the mainstream, people are looking to turn away from Big Pharma and start using more naturally occurring supplements. CBD has touched many facets of our lives, and we can find CBD-infused beverages, skincare lines, bath bombs, and enough celebrity endorsements for everyone. The latest CBD trend is CBD dog treats, which can help your furry friends more than you think.
CBD Treats for Dogs
Believe it or not, CBD is incredibly safe for your pups. Cannabidiol, or CBD, is one of over 100 cannabinoids found within the cannabis sativa plant that provides no psychoactive effects to the user. Due to the non-psychoactivity that CBD possesses, it's all good to go for pets. Another reason why this compound is dog-friendly is that humans and dogs share the same cannabinoid receptors within the brain. This means that the effects felt on humans and dogs will be mirrored.
While you should always consult a vet before giving your pup any new product, you can rest easy knowing that people have been administering CBD to their dogs for a long time. These 420 dog treats can help your pup with a lot. You can help your dog recover from chronic pain, reduce anxiety, and even help treat its seizures.
As with everything in cannabis, research into these topics is still extremely limited. While we know a plethora of information regarding CBD and humans, there isn't much data on CBD and dogs. However, pet owners have seen much anecdotal evidence to support the theory that CBD can be a dog's best friend. CBD has also proven to be non-habit forming, and no adverse side effects have been found after prolonged use.
How to Make CBD Dog Treats: Dosing 101
Edibles are a tricky thing and not always an exact science. With the creation of homemade edibles comes a lot of responsibility, as you don't want to make them so potent that they are not beneficial or therapeutic. The golden rule here at Where's Weed is always to start low and go slow - you can always consume more CBD, but never less.
For a good rule of thumb, start with 2mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of dog weight. There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for your CBD oil dog treats recipe, and factors such as your dog's size, metabolism, and condition will all impact things. Some guides have owners staring at 5mg per 10 pounds of dog weight - it's all about your comfortability.
If you've been searching the internet for things like "CBD dog treats near me" or "homemade CBD dog treats recipe," look no further and keep reading below for our tastiest recipe yet.
CBD Peanut Butter Dog Treats
If you own a dog, you know that peanut butter is always a delicious treat for your furry friend. You'll be using apple sauce and peanut butter in this recipe, and to ensure that your pup is getting nothing but the best, make sure that these two ingredients don't have any toxic preservatives or sweeteners. Avoid xylitol, a common sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Opt for the all-natural!
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- CBD oil
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix apple sauce, peanut butter, and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Add baking soda and flour while stirring.
- Mix until everything is well-combined. You're looking for a dough-like consistency. Playing with the water or flour portions will get you where you need to be.
- Roll the dough into small balls. You can also use cookie cutters to divide them up. Either way, you're looking for a quarter of an inch in thickness.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Add the cookie dough to the sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Once these treats have cooled down completely, add the CBD oil to the cookies. Dose them to your choice depending on your dog's weight or current dose. If your dog ingests one drop a day, stick with that!
- Allow the oil to soak into the cookies.
- Store these in an airtight container.
- Let your pup enjoy it!
Final Tips, Tricks, and Guidelines
- If you're already administering CBD to your dog, use that dosage for each treat.
- If you're just starting, assess your dog. Primarily looking at weight, we recommend starting at 2mg per 10 pounds. (A 10-pound dog gets 2 mg, but an 80-pound dog would get 16 mg.)
- However, if you have an extra small pup (think terriers or chihuahuas) feel free to start with 1 mg of CBD. For dogs 5 pounds and under, this may be your best starting point.
- CBD takes around 30-40 minutes to start working. Just oil will kick in faster than an edible treat.
- The effects can last anywhere from 4-8 hours.